Monday, June 17, 2013

Eat Your Vegetables Day: Homemade Guacamole


So I know what you're thinking. Is there vegetables in guacamole? Yes, yes there is. I've wanted to make some guacamole for some time now and I was under the impression that avocados were vegetables, which apparently they are not. But I did use a tomato, red onion, a Serrano pepper, and garlic, which all fall under the vegetable family. I'm actually not 100% sure if garlic is a vegetable, but I don't care, I made guacamole in celebration of Eat Your Vegetables Day and there is nothing we can do about it now. So let's move on.



I used:
2 avocados
1/4 red onion
1/2 Roma tomato
1 Serrano pepper
1 lime wedge (for the juice)
2 cloves of garlic
2 pinches of coarse salt
1 pinch of pepper
4 pinches of cut cilantro


These are just rough estimates about the exact amount, I added until I thought it tasted right. I probably could have used more cilantro, but other than that I loved it. The Serrano pepper gave it a little spice, but I only used one so it wasn't over-powering. I also should have been more careful when cutting the garlic cloves, since I had one chunk in the guac that was too big. I got a bite of that and I am still tasting it. With that lesson learned, this will definitely be a dish I will make in my near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment