Friday, December 7, 2012

My Analysis of the Bible Part 2A: Culture


Now that I have defended my own position, let’s investigate the common reasons I have been given to support the belief in the Holy Bible. It will be at least one of the following reasons, although likely a combination of a few.

You value the tradition of your beliefs
Some will always believe the Bible is the Word of God no matter what they may read or see, simply due to the fact that it is what they were taught growing up. They value their family and religious heritage and it is more important to them to keep carrying that line that investigating progressive thoughts and views towards religious ideas.

This is a belief I typically respect. Most of the people I have talked to who have felt this way are very tolerant of others’ beliefs and have a good practical sense of peacemaking about them, as they understand others' beliefs to be their own traditions. There are exceptions of course. While I can highly respect and even look up to some of the individuals who share this belief, it does little for my goal of pursuing truths. If these Christians grew up under an Islamic family, they would likely be Muslim. This is not necessarily true, as many people have complicated reasoning behind their beliefs, but since its primary concern is tradition as opposed to understanding it cannot be thought of as offering a realistic sense of divine inspiration of the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment