Sunday, December 9, 2012

My Analysis of the Bible part 2C: Unity


You think it is a good way to keep Christians united and/or in check 

While relatively unconcerned with historical accuracy, you may think that it is necessary to keep this traditional view in order to protect the central doctrines of the Christian religion. Christians will be more productive if they are united, and without a central source this unification cannot happen. It will also keep individuals from manipulating doctrine for their own agendas, which will quickly corrupt the church.

This is a typical concern, and possibly a valid one. However, it has no substance for those seeking truth. A lie producing peace may be an ethical justification, but that’s not what I am interested in with regards to refining my beliefs. I am looking for truth, and therefore must go where the truth takes me, regardless of consequences. I am not the type to preach my views in order to change the world, but I have found my combination of faith and reasoning very fruitful to my life. But if this is your view, understand this: if you are more concerned about the consequences searching for truth might bring than finding truth itself, you have no place in reasonable debate. If anyone goes into a debate unwilling to learn, even if it is unlikely they will learn something, they are not debating, they are teaching. Your beliefs might put you in a pastoral position with an emphasis on leadership rather than one of truth seeking.

No comments:

Post a Comment