Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My Analysis of the Bible Part 4D: My View of Mormonism


How do you view the LDS Church? 

I use Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints (also known as Mormonism) references often in discussions. This is because I have spent a lot of time debating with Elders who walk around my campus. I think their church has its pros and cons. I don’t like the scripture its preserves, as I have found it to have no historical backing. While I find its origins less than genuine, I am encouraged by their organization and commitment to reaching out to others. Of the multiple Elders I have spoken with, I have not met one who was overly pushy or judgmental. They can be perceived that way due to their constant presence in public, as they are eager to share their faith. And while I am not a fan of the Book of Mormon, they also use the King James Bible, and share a lot in common with typical evangelical churches today. Of course there are some drastic differences too. So in short, I see them as confused brothers and sisters in Christ, putting too much emphasis on "knowing" their faith is all true (much how I see Evangelicals). They can produce a wonderful “fruit” with their actions, but not the soundest of doctrine. But as a shameless plug, I will say that I would encourage anyone who is even remotely interested to talk to Mormon elders and sisters. All the ones I have met have been awesome, and they have all been very kind and slow to judge in discussion of differing faiths.

No comments:

Post a Comment